Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering (May 2021)
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Master of Science, Semiconductor Electronics Engineering (August 2015)
University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering (August 2013)
University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
- Robust fundamental knowledgebase in photonics and optics, optoelectronics, electromagnetics, solid-state physics, electronics, mathematics, and data analytics.
- Strong simulation and coding skills in Lumerical FDTD, MATLAB, C, and Python.
- Strong hands-on skills in optics, fabrication and characterization of micro/nanostructures, and electronic circuit implementation.
SELECTED WORK EXPERIENCE
- ECE Department at Virginia Tech, Research Assistant in Nanophotonics (Aug 2016-present)
- Designed, fabricated, and analyzed hybrid plasmonic-photonic metamaterials to induce directional and enhanced non-linear emission from metals for ultrafast sensing applications (Oct 2020).
- Designed, fabricated, and analyzed metal-insulator-metal (MIM) multiresonant plasmonic metamaterials for broadband field enhancement and perfect light absorption in a theoretical-experimental work (Jul 2020).
- Developed the Black-Box Coupled-Mode Theory, a novel analysis framework to design and understand the dynamics in electromagnetic resonator systems (May 2020).
- Developed the Ultrafast Optics lab; Determined, negotiated, ordered and setup the required equipment such as Ti:Sapphire laser, Optical Parametric Oscillator, etc. in a team of two graduate students (Feb 2020).
- Classified and analyzed the different possible strategies to create multiresonant plasmonic systems with spatial mode overlap for the first time (Jun 2019).
- Developed the Optoelectronics lab course by designing and writing the syllabus, lab manuals, and lab lectures. Determined, ordered and setup the required lab equipment (Mar 2019).
- Designed, fabricated, and analyzed MIM nanoantennas with different geometries in team projects for photothermal, nonlinear optics and surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy applications (2018-2020).
- Developed several computer programs for processing and clustering of the measurement data (2016-2020).
- Designed and held photonics outreach sessions for middle school students (Jul 2017).
- Thin Film Lab at the University of Tehran, Research Assistant in Nanoelectronics (Aug 2013-Aug 2016)
- Developed novel core-shell carbon-silicon nanostructures as high-rate supercapacitor electrodes. The key novelty was conformal coating of high-quality amorphous carbon thin films (Jul 2016).
- Worked as transmission electron and scanning electron Microscopes operator (Aug 2015-Jan 2016).
- Developed computer programs to analyze: (1) electron diffraction patterns, (2) lens systems (Dec 2015).
- Developed computer programs for advanced processing of electrochemical measurements (Aug 2014).
- Designed and built a glove box and a test cell for Li-ion battery tests in a teamwork (May 2014).
- Safiabadi Tali S, Zhou W. Multiresonant plasmonics with spatial mode overlap: overview and outlook. Nanophotonics. 2019 Jul 11;8(7):1199-225.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Zhou W. Conductive Gap-Plasmon Nanocavity. Laser Science 2018 Sep 16 (pp. JTu2A-58). Optical Society of America.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Zhou W. Multi-resonant optical nanocavities by out-of-plane magnetic plasmon hybridization. Frontiers in Optics 2018 Sep 16 (pp. JTu3A-53). Optical Society of America.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Zhou W. Magnetic plasmon hybridization in vertically stacked double-gap nanocavities. 2018 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) 2018 May 13 (pp. 1-2). IEEE.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Song J, Nam W, Zhou W. Multiresonant Nanolaminate Plasmonic Metamaterials with Spatial Mode Overlap. 2020 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) 2020 May 10 (pp. 1-2). IEEE.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Zhou W. Black-box coupled-mode theory: analysis of loading effects in optical interactions between nanoresonators. Frontiers in Optics 2020 Sep 16. Optical Society of America.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Soleimani-Amiri S, Sanaee Z, Mohajerzadeh S. Nitrogen-doped amorphous carbon-silicon core-shell structures for high-power supercapacitor electrodes. Scientific Reports. 2017 Feb 10;7(1):1-3.
- Soleimani-Amiri S, Safiabadi Tali S, Azimi S, Sanaee Z, Mohajerzadeh S. Highly featured amorphous silicon nanorod arrays for high-performance lithium-ion batteries. Applied Physics Letters. 2014 Nov 10;105(19):193903.
- Safiabadi Tali S, Song J, Nam W, Zhou W. Two-tier nanolaminate plasmonic crystals for broadband multiresonant light concentration with spatial mode overlap. Advanced Science [submitted].
- Safiabadi Tali S, Yuan L, Zhou W. Black-box coupled-mode theory: a general and rigorous framework to analyze the loading effects on coupled electromagnetic resonators. Physical Review X [submitted].
- Qian Y, Safiabadi Tali S (co-first), Mejia E, Zhou W. Fixed-size double-resonant nanolaminate plasmonic nanoantennas with wide spectral tunability and high optical cross-sections. ACS Photonics [submitted].
- Nam W, Ren X, Safiabadi Tali S, Ghassemi P, Kim I, Agah M, Zhou W. Refractive-index-insensitive nanolaminated SERS substrates for label-free Raman profiling and classification of living cancer cells. Nano letters. 2019 Sep 16;19(10):7273-81.
- Daniel MG, Song J, Safiabadi Tali S, Dai X, Zhou W. Sub-10 nm Nanolaminated Al2O3/HfO2 Coatings for Long-Term Stability of Cu Plasmonic Nanodisks in Physiological Environments. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2020 Jun 16;12(28):31952-61.
- Nam W, Ren X, Safiabadi Tali S, Ghassemi P, Kim I, Agah M, Zhou W. RI-Insensitive Surface-enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (SERS) for Label-free Profiling and Classification of Living Cancer Cells. CLEO: Science and Innovations 2020 May 10 (pp. STh4R-4). Optical Society of America.
- Hosseini SM, Mashayekhi A, Safiabadi Tali S, Sanaee Z. An Effective Nitrogen Doping Technique for Improving the Performance of Lithium Ion Batteries with CNT Based Electrodes. Journal of Ultrafine Grained and Nanostructured Materials. 2019 Jun 1;52(1):78-83.
- ECE Department at Virginia Tech, Instructor:
- Optoelectronics Lab (Springs of 2018, 2019, and 2020),
- Electronics/Networks Lab II (Spring 2017).
- ECE Department at Virginia Tech, Teaching Assistant:
- Microwave & RF engineering course and lab (Falls of 2019 and 2020),
- Intro to Optoelectronics (Springs of 2018 and 2020)
- Antennas II (Spring 2020),
- Physical Electronics (Fall 2020)
- Electric Circuit Analysis Lab (Fall 2019).
- ECE Department at the University of Tehran, Teaching Assistant (2011-2016):
- Nanoelectronics and Nanotechnology
- Theory and Technology of Semiconductor Devices
- Physics of Electronic Devices
- Electronics I
- Electrical Circuits II
- Power System Analysis I
- Electrical Circuits Lab
LEADERSHIP AND ACTIVITIES
- Board member of Virginia Tech University Student Leadership Awards (Aug 2018-May 2019)
- Advisor of the Iranian Society at Virginia Tech with about 200 members (Aug 2018-May 2019)
- Member of the Virginia Tech men choir (Fall 2019)
- president of the Iranian Society at Virginia Tech (Aug 2017-Aug 2018).
- Semi-professional chess player at Iran national level (2001-2009)
- Gained a Karate black belt (Nov 2006).